Written by admin on February 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM.
Mold is a fungus that can cause health problems, such as allergic reactions, skin irritation and more. Mold occurs indoors where there is excessive moisture, as where leakage may have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls and other areas where there has been flooding. The Insurance Information Institute explains that many building materials encourage mold growth and that large mold infestations can usually be seen or smelled (Source).
Do you have mold?
Unfortunately, mold damage is common in South Florida. If you suspect mold in your property, know that mold damage insurance claims are complex, because of exclusions or limitations related to mold that are found in most insurance policies. Water damage does not have the same insurance policy limitations as mold. Therefore, in the case of mold damage, it is very common that water damage is the claim filed and mold damage is filed as the tangential cause.
Stellar Adjusting can help with mold damage in Miami
Understanding and making the most of your insurance policy limitations is a key reason to hire Stellar Public Adjusting Services when mold or water damage is discovered in your property.
When our clients ask us for help settling a mold damage claim, our first priority is to investigate whether the mold damage can be linked to water damage for which a claim may be made under the insurance policy. If the mold took hold after a pipe burst or after water intrusion due to rain, then the mold damage claim may be tied to water damage, in which case we can make a strong argument that a mold exclusion should not apply.
Insurance claim tips for mold damage
1.Take mold contamination seriously. Molds grow best in environments that are warm, damp and humid – conditions which perfectly describes life in South Florida (Source).
2. If mold is discovered, remove all persons with health problems out of the property. And do not eat, drink or smoke near the affected area. Mold spores can cause serious respiratory problems.
3. Contact Stellar Public Adjusting Services immediately to review your insurance policy and to begin filing your insurance claim. You don’t want to be stuck with a lowball offer from your insurance company!
4. Act quickly! Locate a mold remediation professional. Do not attempt to tackle the problem yourself. “Caught early, mold usually can be removed by a thorough cleaning with bleach and water.” (Source)
5. Protect your property from any further damage, but do not make any permanent repairs. Avoid the affected area: do not remove or move any contents, attempt to dry any moisture with a fan or open any windows to let the airborne spores out.
6. Document your loss and damaged property as thoroughly as possible.
7. Determine if the cause of mold damage can be linked to any water damage. “From the insurance perspective, damage from mold, like rust, rot and mildew is specifically excluded in standard homeowners and commercial property policies. Mold contamination is covered under these policies only if it is the result of a covered peril.” (Source)
8. Research your insurance company’s contractor before allowing them to do repairs.
9. Get professional help if you need it! Stellar Adjusting can help with all aspects of mold damage insurance claims.
10. Make sure you know all the deadlines that may cut off your right to file a lawsuit.
11. Report any unfair claim handling.
If there is mold growth in your home or business, you should call Stellar Public Adjusting Services immediately on (305) 396-9110. We can connect you with a mold remediation company that can help extract the mold, kill it and treat the area so that the mold has a lesser chance to develop again.
Friendly staff and work really hard to get what you deserve. I appreciate everything they did for me. Thank you again.
HIGHLY recommend Stellar Public Adjusting! Meticulously and professionally handled our claim, and stood by our side throughout the entire process! Thank you!
Worked with Stellar on a project involving a kitchen flood. They were always there to help & answer all the questions I had – and they reached a fair settlement with my insurance for me. I probably wouldn’t have gotten half of what I did without them! I’d easily recommend them to anyone needing a Public Adjuster.
Glad I hired them. Stellar Public Adjusting assisted in my water damage claim in my condo from my neighbors pipe. They really know there stuff when it comes to claims. They obtained way more than my insurance company initially offered. A very professional company.
David has done multiple claims for our real estate company, as well as for myself and friends. Always exceeds expectations. Highly reliable, and completely on top of his game. Highly recommended.
I have full confidence in the team at Stellar and do not recommend that anyone file an insurance claim without them. The insurance company is not on your side and they are not a good neighbor.
Stellar is on your side and they are in the neighborhood. Call them immediately when damage happens.